[Ti] Taking a Ti to China - need Internet

e. wu edjusted at layerblue.net
Sat Feb 22 21:29:00 PST 2003

I was in Beijing and Shanghai last year. Earthlink has *zero* access numbers there. AOL has several though it can get expensive. I personally don't like AOL but for international access they really are hard to beat.

Dial up really depends on how advanced the city you're in is. If it's a major city then no problems. Rural areas can have really noisy lines. Study your modem commands so you know how to do things like don't wait for dial tone before dialing, dialing using pulse, and connecting with a null number (i.e. dialing on an attached phone, *then* pretending to dial with the modem when you hear the modem sounds on the other end).

One piece of equipment that might be handy is an acoustic phone coupler.

Good luck!

Ed

>Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:36:48 -0800
>Subject: [Ti] Taking a Ti to China - need Internet
>From: Deborah Shadovitz <deb at shadovitz.com>
>
>A friend/client is going to work in China for a couple of months with
>the possibility of spending a lot more time there. A newer building on
>the mainland not far from Taiwan and 45 minutes from Hong Kong.
>Thru Sherlock's AppleCare we know the Ti can handle the current and
>she's checking whether the same US plug can be used since the tech note
>says their plugs are US.
>
>So that leaves the internet question. If any of you have been there or
>live there, can you please give us some advice on dial-up? She had AOL
>and Earthlink right now and I think does web based mail for Earthlink.
>(If she will be spending a lot more time there, she'll seek out high
>speed.
>
>Thanks.
Deborah Shadovitz