[Ti] Invisible Dock (for Massimo Marino)

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Sun Feb 23 02:18:00 PST 2003

On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 06:32 AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:30:31 -0800
> From: "Charles J. Thompson" <charlesjt at cox.net>
> Subject: Re: [Ti] Invisible Dock (for Massimo Marino)
>
> No, Massimo, we don't know what you mean.  Are you referring to hide
> and show option in the Dock pref panel?  We were discussing methods
> to make the dock more or less permanently invisible (not popping out
> every time you cursor near it, ala the hide and show option) while
> retaining the ability to minimize windows and to retrieve minimized
> windows.
>
> Please elaborate on the "Just reg OS X option".
>
> Cheers!
> Charles

Unfortunately that is what I meant: the hide and show. It does not
happen frequently (at least for me) to be with the cursor on the last
pixels of my screen estate where the Dock is hiding. The Dock pretty
much is invisible.

If you want it permanently (how *permanently* can be *more or less* ?
;-) ) invisible than you need an AppSwitcher to start applications (so
not to have the desktop cluttered with icons), something a la
Virtualdesktop (which has a bar menu with hierarchical desktops and
existing windows: click on the app/window to get to it), then the "reg
OS C option" would keep your dock (more or less) invisible. Unless you
wander frequently on the last 5~8 pixels of that side of the screen
where the Dock is hiding: change side? ;-)

Otherwise VersionTracker gives you 6 pages of Dock related application
included some that kills the Dock permanently (there! ;-) )so that you
may now do entirely without it.
Another try is to move the Dock into the apps folder, have it launch as
a login item, then have an applescript run to quit it. As long as the
dock has launched once, your desktop background will appear and the
desktop will be usable. You could use something like: 'tell application
"Dock"'quit' end tell' Should work pretty well then use dragstrip
instead of the dock. See macosxhints.com for more info.

PS

someone asked about how to get to the Finder with no Dock visible:
click anywhere on an empty area of the screen to bring Finder as
frontmost application.

PPS

I went back to Dock after a while...

Cheers