[Ti] [OT] Micro$oft acquires Virtual PC

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 23 10:44:01 PST 2003

According to Robert Ameeti:

>I'm not John but my belief is that Mac users who buy VPC buy it
>because they have to use a PC product. If VPC wasn't around, they'd
>still have to buy something to run their PC application. That would
>be a PC running Windows. Thus, no lost sale. And in fact, that
>purchase of a PC might actually make that one more user who switches
>and just gives up the Mac.

Microsoft sells Windows. VPC requires an MS version of Windows in
order to run. Trust me, from a person who runs Windows2000 Pro, and
XP, in VPC on a Mac, Microsoft isn't losing any sales when a user
runs MS on a Mac. Connectix ported the OS straight from Microsoft,
and since MS doesn't sell computers, they gain profits when users run
VPC, by default. No other way around it.

Their only possible motive to discontinue VPC would be to lose sales,
which is unlikely. The other possibility is an increase in Customer
service, but they'll see [if they don't already know] that they'll
get far fewer 'support' calls, per capita, from VPC users, than they
do from their 'normal' installed base. Whenever I've had a minor
problem with an installation from MS, in VPC, I've turned to other
Macintosh/VPC users, who are always just as helpful as ever. Never
had any desire, much less need, to call Redmond, or Bombay, or
wherever 'support' is located these days.

~flipper