[Ti] How to password protect the machine coming out of sleep?

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Mon Feb 24 10:41:34 PST 2003

On  Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:56:37 -0600 Robert Nicholson <robert at elastica.com>
wrote:

> If I force sleep my machine how can I set it up so that it prompts me
> for a password when coming out of sleep later?

I use a little utility called secureSLEEP to do it. It is a small
Applescript routine that, when you launch it, invokes the Screen Saver and
puts the computer to sleep. To work properly, you have to have the password
prompt option enabled in the Screen Effects Preference pane (System
Preferences). It works for me every time when I leave the computer for a
short time.

The only problem is one that MacFixit reported on a while back. The password
option in Screen Effects is full of security holes. Someone who doesn't know
your password can do things behind the Screen Saver if he knows how.

A more secure way is to just log out. Then press the Power Button and select
"Sleep." That way you don't have to reboot and your computer is much more
secure then if you relied on the secureSLEEP method. I use this method for
overnight sleeps.

jg