[Ti] Invisible Dock

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 24 16:12:22 PST 2003

According to Chris Olson:

>It's curious how some people hate the dock, some love it, and some
>look for software to modify it.  I, for one, happen to find it a way
>more useful tool than the Windows task bar, or it's equivalent in
>KDE or Gnome.  I use the auto-hide feature and have grown accustomed
>to using the dock for a quick reference as to which applications I
>have open, as well as placing my most commonly used application
>launcher icons on it for convenience.  I even dragged my
>applications folder to the right side of the separator line by the
>trash can, allowing me right click it and bring up a popup menu
>where I can select my apps for startup.  The dock is one of the
>features of OS X that I really like.  At least it doesn't have a
>"Start" button that you have to click to shut your computer off :-)
>--
>Chris

Me too :=)

The thing is, with the Dock 'hidden', one can easily see which apps
are open by using Command-TabKey . The open apps pop up with their
names, and, of course, can be selected or quit when they're 'up'.
Command-Shift-Tab will go in the reverse direction. It's really
handy, and one of my favorite parts of the Aqua interface also.

I use other apps to navigate sometimes. AliasMenu, which can show
nested folders, right down to the 'Contents' of packages, is very
handy, also, and can be used to trash items, even multiple,
non-contiguous items, from its own menu. very nice.

~flipper