[Ti] [OT] .forward not working in OS X?

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Tue Feb 25 01:48:06 PST 2003

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 01:23 AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:28:01 +0100
> From: Eduard Hoenkamp <hoenkamp at acm.org>
> Subject: [Ti] [OT] .forward not working in OS X?
>
> Sorry for this off topic. But you are my Ti-buddies.
> In Unix or Linux, when I put a .forward file in a user's home
> directory, mail to that user is sent to the address mentioned in the
> .forward file. It does not seem to work in OS X. Anyone who tried
> this and succeeded? Eduard.

Not until you configure and activate the sendmail server. It is not
"on" by default. See the /etc/hostconfig file, you will find:

MAILSERVER=-NO-

then sendmail must be part of the StartupItems, be properly configured
(/etc/mail/sendmail.cf) then a .forward in your $HOME would be takne
into account (something like 'sudo echo "user at newaddress.net" >
~/.forward)

Hope this helps

	Massimo