[Ti] a Mac OS X/Windows dual booting machine

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Tue Feb 25 06:41:07 PST 2003

On 2/24/03 8:49 PM, "b" <galahad9 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> According to Bill Reburn:
>
>> Orange made a cometitive product, often one processor step ahead of what
>> Apple was using (Intel and Cyrix chips)
>>
>> And you're right, it IS (ok, was) better than VPC.
>
> Was, is right. I had a friend over last week, who has been a
> Macromedia/Photoshop/design guy on the PC/Wintel platform, for years,
> and I said, "Hey, Joe, watch this." And I booted, from a cold start,
> Win XP, in VPC, and it just opened, so fast [from the 'saved state'
> it had been in for a month], and occupied my entire 22" external
> monitor. Operational in no time. He flipped. He happened to have his
> Sony laptop, and booted Win 2k on it, and it was twice as long,
> easily, before he was operational.
>
> ~flipper

Well there is really no comparison today (we're comparing 7 year old
technology here), but what are you talking about booting XP from a cold
start and then you mention it was in a saved state - that's not a cold
start.. I haven't seen too many instances of VPC beating the boot time off a
modern PC (from a real Startup, not Saved).

Back when a fully functional PC was built inside of Mac's - there was no
saved state. After you boot the PC side, you can switch INSTANTLY between
platforms/desktops.. Perform tasks and then switch back to the other while
it worked away in the background. Even the almighty G4 choked pretty
seriouly if you try that with VPC and any flavour of Windblows.

It was truly a 2 brained system able to handle multi-OS multi tasking,
communications and more. When VPC 1 came out around that time, it was almost
a joke.. Much like the Virtual Playstation software Connectix also made..

If a valid attempt was made at doing this again today with say a modern
Intel chip, VPC would dry up and blow away (or at least linger for the
hangers-on like RamDoubler users).

Bill Reburn