[Ti] a Mac OS X/Windows dual booting machine

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Tue Feb 25 07:44:12 PST 2003

>> The PC card started with the LC (040 days) with a 486DX2. The LC was
>> introduce in the 020 days, died with a 601 in it. Every line up of Mac's
>> since the LC days came with the DOS Compatibility option somewhere.
>
> Small correction, it actually started with the Apple ][, I remember a
> friend having a 8086 board in his Apple IIgs, running Dos and Windows
> 3.11 :)

Yup, you're right.

The almighty IIGS.. We had a IIGS (GS stands for Graphics and Sound) at my
high school.. We were always tinkering with it.. It did NOT come with a
Signed certificate from Woz and his team though :-(  (still have a relative
- the IIc in my closet).

I think you are referring to the Rana cards? They supplied the II's with the
functionality of running IBM PC software(around 1984), I don't know about
running Windblows 3.11 (which came out around '92). Apparently it did not
work very well. Rana went Chap.11 in 85. There was also the PC Transporter
Card but neither of these came from Apple (which is what we were talkin'
about) and they both sucked very hard!

I guess in the context of when a 'PC' card first appeared in an Apple
computer it was the II era. As far as it actually being useable by modern
standards though (Win3.11 or 95) it didn't happen until much later (LC).

Bill Reburn