[Ti] Disk Permissions

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Tue Feb 25 10:45:54 PST 2003

>I'm slowly coming to terms with my new PowerBook, but this thing called "Disk Permissions" has me baffled. What are they?

This is actually File Permissions. They allow or disallow users and programs from reading, writing, or seeing files.

> Why do they keep getting changed or broken?

Cuz programmers are lazy and make mistakes. When an installer changes the permissions for one thing, lack of foresight can cause permissions to get changed for other things.

> Why, after doing the "Repair Disk Permissions" in my Disk Utility and "locking" it to "prevent further changes" do I find the permissions changed again within a few days?

Cuz you are not locking the permission for all the files that you are changing the permissions for. You are only locking the ability to change permissions from that single utility. (if even that).

> Is this something I need to worry about?

No. Just do it as needed on a routine of sorts until developers get a bit more experienced with this.
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net

Abstinence is a good thing if practiced in moderation.