[Ti] Quark 6.0 Pre-release is Out

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 26 15:30:58 PST 2003

According to Shawn King:

>On 2/26/03 4:34 PM, "b" <galahad9 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>  Anybody else seen/received it yet? It's out, looks interesting, is
>>  NOT the Final release.
>
>Where? The Quark web site doesn't mention anything about a public beta.

It's not, technically, a public beta. It's an authorized pre-release
version that requires an authorization number, and also doesn't
'personalize' the application, as far as "Registered to: " ownership.
[Even though the 'form' for personalization is part of its install
process].

I believe a lot of big printing plants and design houses received it,
but there's no way of accurately second-guessing Quark's strategy. A
publisher up in Brooklyn gave me his. [the printer who handles his
biz still uses Quark 4].

It's not a fully-implemented version, meaning there may be features
that aren't 100% enabled. I gave it a pretty thorough look, and it
obviously is a departure from quark 4 and 5. It's backward
compatible, so it opens ver. 3, 4, and 5 files, but only saves in 5
or 6. However a file can be saved in 5, then opened in 5 and re-saved
in 4.

The pdf for "What's New" is 9 pages of new stuff, including the part
related to its ability to write a companion, or standalone Web doc,
and have a web and print version [or versions] be synced for text,
etc. [yet maintaining totally different parameters for page 'size'
amongst other issues] Very cool looking, so far.

~flipper