[Ti] Safari: Forms Autocomplete - where?

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Fri Feb 28 16:59:46 PST 2003

>I must have missed that, was someone griping that Software Update didn't recognize a developer's version of safari?

Yes

>That's a n odd thing, Software update doesn't 'recognize' anything, it just reads the list of what you have installed recently via SU, and also scans the first Applications folder apparently.

And if it doesn't find the most recent release, then it will offer that version as an update. The user was bothered that the .60 was being offered even though he had the .62.

>Nevertheless, there are plenty of legitimate copies of Safari 1.0b.62 out here.

Yes, Delivered to Registered Developers with the agreement to not distribute.

> So what? How do you figure Apple gets the bugs out? Wild guesses?

Apple is not interested in users bug reports on these non-public beta releases from these types of users. These types of users do not understand discretion on what should be reported and what shouldn't be reported. They also are not aware of the preferred items that Apple is interested in being tested in this beta version. All the extra 'noise' only slows Apple's efforts down.

> Has nothing to do with 'back doors', and if someone has an unreleasd copy, who cares?

Apple.

This is all about respecting private property. Apple's in this case. When non developers access pre-release software, they tend to blabber about it and all of its features. The problems becomes when other users then expect that these new 'features' are to be expected in the next version. And that 'bugs' are prevalent in Apple's software.

> Not worth a worry at all.

You would better understand the situation if you had handed out a limited number of betas to a select group of people some software that you were developing. And if you were to have told the selected group of people that you were only interested in them testing a specific type of usage. Only then to be bombarded with thousands of e-mails from users who did not know that you were not in need of all of their 'helpful' bug reports, all of which you already knew about. Do you get it now?

--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.