[Ti] Poll

Dave Friesen davefriesen at mac.com
Fri Jan 3 14:25:17 PST 2003

That's the link I used for reference (didn't have it handy for the last email) but more importantly was the practice. I found an old board off of something, just look for anything with very small surface mount resistors, to practice on. The key is to heat the resistor just long enough to pop it loose, no more or you can fry something serious (ie. motherboard).

Once I felt comfortable removing resistors I moved to the Ti. Couple prayers and bam! it was off. Then to make the other connection (see webpages for reference) I used a car window defroster repair kit and dabbed a tiny amount of the copper "paint" in the appropriate place and restated the computer.

I've only notice a slight amount of extra heat (no more than other "regular" 500mhz owners) and no other side effects.

I did wait until my warranty had expired and (foolishly) I did not opt for additional AppleCare (although I have not had any problems, whatsoever).

If you're still using a 400 and you feel brave and feel somewhat comfortable with a soldering iron then I say go for it! If not then feel fine that you still have a functioning computer... ;-)

Did I mention those surface mount resistors were *small*?