(OT) This should be an iPod commercial

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Sat Jan 4 13:16:31 PST 2003

I just saw this TV suspense movie I have no idea the name from about 1980 or
so with William DeFoe, A Jason Robards lookalike, and Lauren HUtton. It
would make the perfect iPod commercial.

The three were investigating some hairy situation, and they needed a clue of
any kind to find there objective-which I admit I have no idea what they were
after. They did look very intense, focused and serious, thinking caps were a
blazingly blue flame. They seemed to be desperate and out of hope.

Finally, a light bulb went off over Robards. Hutton and DeFoe looked like
they saw the cavalry. Robards pulled up a saddle, the large parade show
style rodeo variety, jumped in and turned on the power on his IBM 360. The
three huddled around the computer as Robards the hacker guru get's down to
business.

(large pause)

> Search music

He types.

 [enter]
(large pause)

The three look at each other with hope, desperate for any lead. The IBM
360's blinking cursor seem to take forever! The camera shoots each actor one
at a time twice. Waiting for the results.

(large pause)
Blink! The interface flashes in front of there eyes on the screen and the
three analyze the results---hmmm.

> Results for search: 'Music'
> (2)TWO songs found:

> 1. Ol' Rattler River
> 2. The Tale of the Star Handled Singing Cowboy
(large pause)

Another decision to be made! Two(2) choices! fsck. They look unassuredly at
each other.

(large pause)
Finally, putting caution into the wind, the old hacker squints and hits key
1(one).
(large pause)

This is where I wish the sound was off, and so I hear the old lost gold
miner in the Arizona wilderness pluck his 3 string banjo about Ol' Rattler
River. The song trails of as they three look at each other knowing this was
NOT the right .mp3 file-and now they only had 50% chance that the other song
was the song that would set them free from there anxiety, or whatever the
hell they were doing, I still have no idea.

The sleek and powerful interface of the IBM 360 yield to the commands of the
hacker cowboy in the saddle.

(large pause)
He hits the '2' key.
(large pause)

The request is sent to the central processor, where is begins to compute the
important data.
(large pause)

The music kicks in 1-2-3-4-
YES!
This is IT!
JOY!
Embrace-almost kiss.
Lauren Huttons boobs eb and jibe up and down with her silk blouse doing it's
best to keep up but can't. DeFoe looks he just won a doorprize and the
Robards look alike can barely get out of the saddle.

But wait, a new realization hits them all at once. As if a flock of birds in
flight turning on a dime in perfect synchronization, they all share the same
thought--can we--we need to--print--print the lyrics...YES! PRINT IT!
~exasperation~

(large pause) He hits the 'p' key I guess.
The printer spits out 3 giant pages of lyrics and Robards hands them to
DeFoe with pride, where deffoe wrinkles the large paper unto his bossum.

Another MP3 search success and case solved which couldn't have happened if
the RIAA had it's way in 1980!