[Ti] Happy 1 Ghz Powerbook users! - I am

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Tue Jan 7 17:23:41 PST 2003

Ha!  That's probably the most absurd thing I've heard in a LONG time.
Apple doesn't really have that much in inventory to justify a speed
bump for two months.  Most likely they realized that the 800 needed a
boost-FAST.  So they bump the 800 to 1 GHz, add RAM and HD space, and
toss in quick little extras called a better video card and a
superdrive.  Sure they knew that there were new products in the
pipeline, but they were a good 3 months away from being released.  The
new 12 and 17 inch PowerBooks are an addition to the PowerBook line,
not a replacement.  I imagine the next time they get bumped they'll get
many of the same things the 17" has (perhaps the new case, for example;
we'll see), and they might even get bumped before the 17" does.

Besides, if they have too many parts, they could easily just earmark
them for service, and if necessary drop the cost of those parts to
encourage more people to repair heavily-damaged computers.

Honestly, I'm waiting for a new PowerBook myself; I ordered a 15" one a
while back, and some things got tied up so everything else in my order
has shipped.  But the PowerBook didn't.  If I can, I'll probably pay
extra to get the 17", but they may not allow me to do so for various
reasons too long to go into here.  But if they can't, I assume I will
get the lower-priced 15", and I'll be perfectly content with it; both
are excellent machines.

And for any of you that just ordered a new PowerBook and it was shipped
within 10 days of the new PowerBooks, call Apple within 14 days of
shipping, and you can probably get some money back.

Tom Warner <tom at dfind.com> writes:
> On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 10:38 PM, John Griffin wrote:
>> I am afraid I have a bit more cynical view of this. I do not agree
>> that
>> these TiPBs were destined to be anything other than a way of dumping
>> leftover parts. Apple had planned the new AlPB many months ago to take
>> over the Powerbook lineup.
>>
>> Problem: There were so many parts for the TiPB in all the bins.
>>
>> Solution: We design a last-in-the-line model with just enough bells
>> and
>> whistles that thousands will gobble it up and we will get rid of most
>> the
>> spare parts. Then when we have manufactured enough gighz powerbooks to
>> lower our inventory just enough, we release the new thing!
>
> The bastards.
>
> What an evil and devious company to have ever come up with such a
> Machiavellian plan to run down production on a successful product.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html