[Ti] OT: Happy 1 Ghz Powerbook users!

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Wed Jan 8 06:25:55 PST 2003

Aaron, and everyone else,

I too, was taken by surprise by this announcement. I had a feeling that
Apple would make minor adjustments to the PB line, but not nearly as
big as this (Bluetooth and AirPort was my guess). I placed my order on
the 22nd of December, and last week I received a notice that it had
been shipped from Ireland to Luxemburg for further packing (normal
procedure). I haven't had it delivered yet.

I checked out the sales and refunds policy of the Swedish AppleStore.
It turns out, that I may return a computer for any reason within 7 days
and get a full refund. According to the U.S. AppleStore, Americans have
similar rules, but have a whole of 10 business days time to decide that
they want to return they computer.

Today I called AppleStore, and it took them 10 seconds to say that they
would cancel the order. When I thought about it, I decided that since I
still probably was going to buy the same machine (15.2'', 1GHz, SD, 1GB
RAM) because of the extreme delivery time of the AlBook here in Sweden
(9-11 weeks they say. I'll be surprised if that doesn't mean 3-4
months). I told the AppleStore phone receptionist that, and after
talking to her supervisor she quickly modified the order and gave me a
partial refund and let the order progress as normal. That's several
$100's saved there!

Also, remember that the AlBook is a first revision...I bet they learnt
a lot from the TiBooks (AirPort placement, for one thing) - but the
fact is that it is bound to have quirks. Besides, ordering a 17''
portable before feeling how huge it feels, is not that wise. I think it
makes for a great desktop replacement, though! Has anyone had a chance
to play with one yet!?

Anyway, the purpose of this mail is to tell those who just ordered, or
who ordered a few weeks ago, that there may still be a chance to either
cancel the order and get a refund, or get a pretty good partial refund
and keep the computer. I'm pretty sure Apple does want Good Will with
their professional customers.

/ Regards, David Remahl (soon a happy owner of a TiBook!!!)