[Ti] Aesthetics?

William Scammell wscamel at pop.ici.net
Wed Jan 8 06:39:44 PST 2003

>Hi,
>am I the only one who thinks that the 17" PowerBook has lost a lot
>of the appealing beauty of the Titaniums? Sure, Aluminium is cool.
>Especially for those of us having these paint issues. And it's 17",
>which is huge I must admit. What I don't like are the proportions.
>Why is the keyboard so small? To me it looks too small in both
>dimensions.
>Just my 2 cents,
>	Marcus

i think apple intended:
   *  17" to replace the desktop hogging systems many people have, and
for occasional road use.
   *  15" for above, and more constant road use.
   *  12" for people who want that form factor (and/or don't want a
lollipop-colored iBook).

it all comes down to *choice* for the user. i see this as a good thing.

as for aluminum, it solves the expensive and ~seemingly~ pervasive
paint problem they've been having for 2 years now. i think it may
even look brighter when polished/handled well (compared to painted
over titanium), and i believe it resists scratches better. (we'll see
on that last bit, eh?)

personally i can't wait to see one up close,
even though business is terrible and i ~shouldn't~ upgrade ...

... must hide credit cards!  :")

ah, but the keyboard -- i agree. on the 17" it looks puny. i think
apple wanted to reuse the same part to save on production costs. road
warriors are used to such small keyboards, and folks like me who also
use their Ti (or Al) as a sole desktop replacement have an external
keyboard.

ps: your 2 cents are just as valuable as anyone else's.

William Scammell                     Creative Director
wscamel @ pop.ici.net                  781-956-3548

http://www.idesignofboston.com provides
graphic, advertising, and web site design services.