[Ti] Happy 1 Ghz Powerbook users!

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Wed Jan 8 07:03:54 PST 2003

On  Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:31:15 -0500 Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at cs.utk.edu>
wrote:

>> -DDR RAM: An obvious advantage
>
> How obvious? The bus is still 133, isn't it?

Obviously it is not obvious at all! The fact that they went to DDR RAM
without raising the Bus speed handcuffs any advantages.

I say wait for the next version of the Al/PB. 166 mhz bus speed (maybe even
400 mhz) and next generation IBM/Motorola G4 chips with variable speed up to
1.5 Ghz.

Obviously the Firewire 800 is no big deal until products are released that
will take advantage of the new standard. Bluetooth is nice, but I don't see
a stampede to take advantage of it as was predicted years ago (Sony and
Erikkson being exceptions). Where are all the printers, scanners, keyboards,
mice, speakers, earphones, cameras, card readers, etc. that were supposed to
be taking advantage of Bluetooth? The release of the Bluetooth dongle was a
pretty li'l thing with nowhere to go (as is Firewire 800 at this point).

Let's see how these ground-breaking innovations turn out by this time next
year. And by then we will have the next jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring release
from Apple, and we should have some idea of who will win the Firewire 800
vs. USB 2.0 battle (and Intel seems to have an impossibly early lead in this
one). And we should also have some indication of whether or not Bluetooth is
another of those technically great ideas that nobody seems to want.

jg