[Ti] The most disappointing announcement.

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Wed Jan 8 10:20:41 PST 2003

I guess with this formula I could consider my 550 a swift little 360 Spider
or something? Hehe.

Seriously - I see no space to complain. The GigSDTi is a beautiful machine -
not "obsolete" by any means.. Take a peek at some forum discussions.. Weak
Graphics Card - No Purpose for 802.11g - No devices to use FireWire800 -
Extremely limited functionality with BlueTooth - USB ports on both sides of
the machine.. And the thing hasn't even hit the streets yet!

People (I assume GigSDTi owners) are really beating on this machine. It will
fit some peoples purpose perfectly (4 months and counting for me).. But it
is in no way leaps and bounds above what you have. Although that screen and
new keyboard are drop dead amazing.

Some of you are having a hard time with what has happened - but it does
happen all the time. I have felt the sting myself - heck I even owned a
7200!! This is the game we play with wanting to have and hold the latest and
greatest - sometimes letting that eagerness overpower common sense and cause
extreme short-sightedness. Not to mention Xmas having WAY too big an impact
on it all.

Enjoy your machine, it wasn't going to be the hottest thing on the block
forever.

(also without a Ferrari or SDTi)

On 1/8/03 9:51 AM, "Phillip McGree" <phil at phil.net.au> wrote:

>>> I'm always amazed at the wide range of opinions that surface after Apple
>>> announces some new product.  In this case, I can't tell if Phillip is
>>> serious or satirical about a 23" Powerbook.  Are you?
>>
>> Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but there exists some monster that has basically
>> two 14" screens side by side. Weighs a ton, but looks very impressive.
>

> Oh come on people, I would have thought that by putting a definition of
> sarcasm at the bottom of the post (with a matching URL) would have been enough
> of a hint!!  Consider yourselves to have flunked out on Bleeding Obvious 101.
>
> Maybe it's just an Australian only term, but here we call it "taking the
> piss".  All this serious snobby carry on is just begging for someone to "take
> the piss".
>
> Really...   a 23" PowerBook??????  Come on guys, get some reality!
>
> Besides, I'm holding out for the holographic screen.  Should liven up the
> porno popups quite nicely!
>
> I don't know about you lot, but if I had an automotive equivalent of a
> PowerBook 15" 1gig (eg 2003 Ferrari) and suddenly a 2004 Ferrari came out a
> few weeks later then it would just seem so stupid and trivial to hold a grudge
> about it.
>

> Rgds,
> Phil
> (no Ferrari, and no PowerBook 1 gig)