[Ti] Happy 1 Ghz Powerbook users! - I am

Tom Warner tom at dfind.com
Wed Jan 8 13:53:26 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 02:36 PM, John Griffin wrote:

>> What an evil and devious company to have ever come up with such a
>> Machiavellian plan to run down production on a successful product.
>>

> Did I say it was a Machiavellian plan? I don't think I even implied
> it. I
> believe I said it was a "Business Decision" and as such it will make
> the
> shareholders happy and alienate the people who bought 15" Powerbooks a
> couple of weeks ago thinking that they were the best Powerbook/Desktop
> replacement money could buy.

No _I_ said it. I thought it was obvious that I was poking a little fun
at you ;o) What you described in your 'cynical view' was an absolutely
normal way to sell stuff. If you want to increase sales, you tart up
the product a bit... like give it a 'speed bump.'

Naturally they want to sell as many as they can. Naturally they don't
want unused materials around. Apple has done nothing wrong here.

Your TiBook, right now is the best laptop in existence. The 17 inch
doesn't exist yet. Even when it does, you will have the best 15 inch.
Nothing wrong there.

_If_ they discontinue the 15 inch (and nobody has said they will) the
one gig version will have been in production at least as long as any of
the other rev's and the overall form factor will have been in
production longer than any other PowerBook. Nothing wrong there.

Last year I wanted a TiBook. I waited till after MWSF to see what would
be announced, then I waited until after Tokyo. Then I waited a little
longer and I ordered my 667. Two weeks after I got it, they brought out
the 800. So what?

Apple has announced a new product. Whenever a new product is announced
people will be taken by surprise. It's inevitable. Also, some people
will have purchased the previous product just before the new one is
announced. Also inevitable. It happens all the time with any rapidly
changing product line. The only thing that's wrong here is your need to
try to portray yourself as some kind of victim.

It isn't true. You aren't a victim.

You are an intelligent, discerning purchaser and you've got the best
laptop money can buy.

Relax and enjoy it.

All the best,
Tom