{Ti} OT Quark/Switch to Adobe, be My Guest, please

~flipper flipper at macsrule.com
Wed Jan 8 18:54:20 PST 2003

At 4:57 PM -0700 1/8/03, Ron Woodland wrote:
>I emphatically agree.  I've switched and will not look back.  Not
>only is it as good -- perhaps better is some ways and not as good in
>others but definitely competitive -- it handles 2-byte fonts
>perfectly. Japanese, Korean, etc. -- with InDesign and OS X, one
>product handles all languages.  With Quark, you have to buy another
>copy for each new language, at a premium price.  Additionally, I
>think Adobe treats its customers better.  I sense a market shift
>that is gaining momentum.
>
>Ron Woodland
>At 11:58 PM +0000 1/8/03, Tom Warner wrote:
>>WHY would anyone put up with Quarks blatant disrespect for their customers
>>when InDesign 2 is so good?
>
>Hear, hear.
>
>Borf Quark!

I tried switching the three tabloids that i edit, design, and do all
layout on, [weekly, monthly, quarterly], to InDesign, which 'says' it
imports Quark, and it does, except for little things like baseline
'shifts', which occur hundreds of times in my publications.

A 'market shift'? Who might that be? The folks getting freebies from
Apple? Apple's only dumping InDesign on folks to light a fire under
Quark's arse. Small shops can switch to InDesign, after all it's no
more obtuse than a fully-loaded Illustrator, but as long as every
major printing plant, newspaper and magazine on Earth use Quark
[XPress Passport 5, in my case,which has languages], the market shift
will be a 'blip' on the map.

Quark allows me to do layout in rapid, accurate, time-saving, elegant
fashon, and enables me to focus my precious time and energy on
content. I'm upset that they dragged their arses as long as they did,
but i'd rather have a carbonized Quark than a 'Native' InDesign any
day of the week.Period. Quark knows this, and if Apple's 'Classic'
emulator and QuartzExtreme [in Classic mode] weren't so 'gitchy', I'd
say let Quark take their time.

Why no market shift? Because publishing, in the actual 'production'
sense, is inherently conservative, and most of the folks never even
bothered to update to 5.0 If they don't like the 4.0 under 9.2.2,
they've noone to blame but themselves. Quark 5 in 9, is a breeze. I
hope a lot of the 'little people' DO switch to adobe, it'll bring
down the prices on Quark plugs, I hope. <Laughs> So switch away, and
when Adobe lets InDesign wither "Pagemaker-style", relax, there'll
still be a Pro workhorse, if you're serious: Quark.

cheers,
~flipper