[Ti] Safari Dagger

Ron Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Thu Jan 9 08:22:20 PST 2003

I think the trend of Apple developing a diversity of really good
software is significant.  For many years, Apple's philosophy was that
they would stay out of the software arena and support third-party
developers.  It was a positive symbiotic relationship ...for the most
part.  But things have changed.  I think Steve and his people have
become frustrated by third party developers abandoning the Mac, yet
there are "insanely great" opportunities for the right "killer" software
...as Apple has demonstrated with FileMaker, Final Cut, etc.

A second aspect of this trend of Apple software is even more long-term.
  Microsoft is profitable without hardware sales (...although that may
not be completely accurate in the broader sense, because of their
dominating influence in the market).  Rumors of MacOS X running on the
PC-compatible platform have been circulating for years.  What if Apple
were to release MacOS X for PCs?  That can only happen if Apple has
sufficient non-hardware revenue streams.  The growing stable of software
that Apple is developing (or acquiring) is possibly in support of that
happening one day in the future.

My thoughts,
Ron Woodland