[Ti] What a moron

Henry Kalir kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU
Fri Jan 10 09:58:09 PST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Ric Perrott wrote:

> On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 07:14  AM, Henry Kalir wrote:
>
> > Apple DOES need to be concerned about the market share AND work on
> > somehow
> > getting the Mac OS to either be able to run Windoze-written programs as
> > Mac ones, or have an in-house porting team to do this. Otherwise, we'll
> > have great, sleek computers but end up "all dressed up with nowhere to
> > go".
> >

> Really? Why? What are the Windows programs that every Mac user needs to
> run? Show me 3 Windows programs that are so revolutionary that they
> have absolutely no Mac equivalent.
>
> You're far from a "diehard" Mac user with a statement like that. There
> is NOTHING I cannot do to support both my income producing job and my
> hobbies on my Mac that I could do on a WinTel machine.
>
> IMO, NOT being able to run Windows programs is one of the biggest
> benfits of MacOS!
> -------------------------------
Rick, Robin, Bigley and everyone,

For Apple to survive it has to have a firm base. You're looking at things
from a Mac loyalist point of view, something like: "If t'aint running on a
Mac - we don't need it". There are many applications which NON Mac users
use - just go to ANY computer store, and see what's available for the PC
and what's available for the Mac. If those programs could run on BOTH Mac
and PC - OTHER people might be tempted to go with a Mac. Programs are also
constantly being developed and will be developed in the future. If Apple's
market share and flexibility doesn't change - the temptation to write for
the PC market only will be a strong economic determinant.
The grave danger then would be that at a miniscule market share - Apple
would become a non-viable entity.

Now, if you all don't feel that more Mac users is a worthy and GOOD thing
for both Apple Computer AND US, then by all means - disparage the Windoze
crowd, and tell yourselves whatever it is that makes you feel good. BUT,
if you are truly invested in the Mac (and I am!!), then you'd be able to
take a critical look at things, feel blessed for what we have that is
better, and not fear to outline that which needs working on.

Best,

Henry