[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press, coupled with the loss

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Fri Jan 17 03:37:05 PST 2003

on 1/16/2003 10:46 PM, NaegeleWDC at aol.com at NaegeleWDC at aol.com wrote:

> With all due respect, so what -- the Chevy-Toyota analysis still holds true,
> certainly with respect to potential "switchers."

The problem with the automotive analogy is that most people don't throw away
a perfectly serviceable auto simply because it isn't the latest and greatest
(or fastest).

However, they do throw away PCs (or at least motherboards, which is
basically the same thing) simply because *THEY WANT TO*.  The machines are
perfectly serviceable, and would work great, but it "isn't as fast as it
used to be" because they got used to it, and the latest game mag says that
the XYZ computer is the computer to have if you're a gamer...

You get the point.  I thought about the auto analogy, but the problem is
that autos are significantly more expensive than computers.  You wouldn't
think about trashing an auto -- if it is still running, you sell it and
trade up.  The same can NOT be said about Wintel sheep ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H users.

Just to give you an example, I just upgraded my motherboard on my PC after
two years of service.  My neighbor is on his third or fourth upgrade in the
same time period.

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver