[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press, coupled with the loss

Henry Kalir kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU
Fri Jan 17 09:08:28 PST 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Michael Bigley wrote:

> >Most market share numbers are based on *sales* not *in-use*.

So? Ultimnately those new sales will translate into market share.

> >Most in-use numbers show a 9-12% Macintosh usage share.  Remember, most
> >Wintel machines are purchased as replacements within a 12-18 month period.

Even Macs don't last forever, and ultimately cn't run the latest Mac OS or
carry enough "umph" to run the latest applications.

> >The problem is that all these sales numbers assume that each machine is
> >going into service as a new machine, not as a replacement for an existing
> >machine.  All that they say is that there are 97-99 Wintel machines sold for
> >every Macintosh sold.  This does not equal "market share" in spite of those
> >people who would like it to mean that.

Unfortunately, some of those are former Apple users.

> Add to that the actual number of Macs (and all computers) sold keeps
> growing, the whole market share myth is worse than the megahertz
> myth.  When the actual number of Mac users starts falling that is
> cause for concern, but, in fact, it is growing... especially in the
> consumer end.

>From 5% of the market to 2.3%??? That's growth???
>
> In the mid-90s when software and hardware vendors start abandoning
> Apple, that was scary, but today, that trend is actually reversed,
> with more hardware and software options than ever before. Part of
> that has to do with Apple becoming more compliant, but also because
> companies are making money.

Given your general line of reasoning, why should this be "scary"? As some
here seem to say - "whatever we don't have on the Mac is obviously
something that is not needed or important"...

Folks...PLEASE...Apple needs to work on an OS that can take ANY Windoze
application and run it just as good or BETTER on the Mac OS (like being
able to play the same record on a superior HI FI...or whatever appropriate
analogy you care for) so that PC users (NOT you, the converted!!!) will
say" Hey! NEAT...I might as well get a Mac and run all my applications and
then some on it". An increase in market share is not just GOOD, it's a
MUST for Apple to survive. STOP deluding yourselves... TY for listening.

Best,

Henry