[Ti] Market Share: With Challenge

Ron Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Fri Jan 17 12:50:07 PST 2003

I have been successful at blunting the "Windows world" retoric at the
college where I teach, but using the diversity argument.  Education is
very big on diversity, right?  I turn that back on the PC crowd -- pun
intended.  We typically use that term in reference to ethnicity,
culture, philosophy, etc.  Why not computer technologies?  Students
should be exposed to more than Windows.  Isn't it important that they
have a Macintosh experience, as well?  How about unix?  Sure, bring it
all on ...anything that will reduce Windows dominance.  Open and diverse
technology, where all concepts have equal opportunity, is good.  It's
the best argument I've found so far for supporting and using Macs in a
Windows world.

I teach graphic design.  My classroom has 20 late-model Macs and 10
equivalent PCs.  A second facility is provided for students in the
degree to use in assignments.  (This facility is separate from the
general computer "labs" around campus, because of the expensive graphics
software required in the program.)

Many students use whatever computer is available.  Some consciously
switch back and forth to get more experience with cross-platform issues.
Some feel put upon to use Macs.  When those bigoted students complain
about having to use Macs (because there aren't enough PCs), I give them
the "lecture" about diversity.  I tell them that this is their Mac
experience and it will help make their education more well-rounded.  I
also make the point that Macs are the dominant platform in the graphics
field.  Sometime, somewhere, someday -- if they're going to be involved
in the graphics industry as a career -- no matter how hard they try to
avoid it, they will find themselves in a situation where they will have
to use a Mac.  That quiets all but the most un-reconstructed PC user.

Michael Bigley wrote:

>> And this in a school with educational Macs
>

> This is the real challenge; their are vociferous groups of people going
> to school boards telling them to get rid of Macs because it is a
> "Windows world" (I know this sadly because my sister is part of one of
> those groups).  Every Mac user should be loud and persistence about the
> importance of Macs in education... School boards are elected, and they
> need to know that voters use Macs too. Write letters, attend school
> board meetings... that could be the difference in hundreds or even
> thousands of Macs.

Ronald Woodland -- St. George, Utah  84770