[Ti] Here's your challenge...

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Fri Jan 17 13:03:35 PST 2003

On 1/17/03 3:47 PM, "Benn" <joverkamp at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I don't know how many people are on this list, but if everyone could
> convert a PC user to a Mac user and make them never want to look back,
> that certainly is a positive thing that takes little effort, right?
> I'd love to hear some success stories.

OK, here's one. A friend was constantly complaining of system freezes and
crashes on his Tiny brand PC. He bought it about 18 months ago and sprang
for their extended warranty. Then they went out of business in the US and
now he's up the creek without a paddle.

Numerous PC/Windows "experts" tried to help him, scanning for virii, running
system utilities, etc., with no improvement. Every time he started
complaining to me I told him "buy a Mac". Finally, just before Christmas he
came over and I showed him my iMac G4 15". I showed him all the iApps, MS
Office v. X, and a few other things.

Next thing I know, he walked into the Tysons Corner Apple Store and bought
himself an iMac G4 17" and the Office X discounted package. Since then he's
been back to buy an iSub, a digital camera for his wife, and lots of games
for his daughter. He has hundreds of CDs in a jukebox, and I think a 20GB
iPod is in his immediate future.

It hasn't been perfect - he notices shortcomings (missing features) with
Quicken 2003 for the Mac as compared to the Windows version. And for some
reason anything he prints out from Mail prints in tiny print about the size
of a postage stamp (though I think he's solved that one). Lastly, his cursor
jumps around on the screen. I gave him an Apple mouse I wasn't using to see
if it was his mouse causing the problem, and the same thing kept happening.
It happens whether booted from his hard drive, the OS X CD, or in OS 9, so I
think there's something else wrong with his hardware. He plans to bring the
iMac back to the Tysons Genius Bar to have them take a look.

Despite these few glitches, he's very happy with the iMac. His wife even
downloaded and emailed me some digital photos yesterday - something she
never would have figured out on a PC.

One down....
--
Mark O'Brien