Market Share

NaegeleWDC at aol.com NaegeleWDC at aol.com
Sat Jan 18 08:42:21 PST 2003

Here is an interesting article that discusses Apple, which appears in Barron's and is linked via the online version of the Wall Street Journal -- Barron's is owned by the Journal:

See http://online.wsj.com/barrons/article/0,,SB1042852612971807424,00.html?mod=COMPANY

It is clear that market share and perceptions, etc., are factors that influence sales, investment decisions, the value of Apple's stock, the company's viability -- and ultimately the computers and operating system to which we have committed ourselves.

Also, in a message posted to the list on Friday, Gary Mark stated:

"I feel it necessary to remind you all that this listserv is for discussion about Titanium Powerbooks and the new iterations of the Aluminum G4 Powerbooks.

"Since Macworld, I have been getting digest after digest (thank goodness I'm not getting individual emails) where posters are talking about Apple's market share, past and future Macworld predictions, the switch campaign, Macs versus PC, Macs on TV, Macs on Intel sites, etcetera...

"The point that I'm making is that less than 15% of posts lately are about the G4 Powerbooks and applications herein.

"Can we please stop wasting bandwidth and keep the discussion about G4 Powerbooks??"

I am sure all of us appreciate Gary's point of view; however, I respectfully suggest that market share and other issues like it affect decisions to buy Apple products, certainly my decisions.

I was at MWSF two years ago when the Ti was first introduced, and I had planned to buy one; however, I followed the problems on this list and elsewhere, and I did not buy my Ti 800 until last May when I really needed one -- or at least I needed a new laptop from some company.  My Ti is my fifth PowerBook, and I bought my first about ten years ago, and candidly I considered switching to a Wintel laptop.  Among other things, I was one of those Apple buyers who suffered through a 5300 until Apple finally replaced it -- only because, I believe, an old friend of mine was serving on Apple's Board of Directors.

Thus, I had been burned by Apple before, and didn't want to get burned again.  I have "paid my dues" with respect to Apple products, for a lifetime.  My son convinced me to start with a PowerBook when he was getting his JD/MBA, and now that he's an executive with one of the television networks, he wouldn't own an Apple if it was given to him.  For him, it's just another "box," and he does not believe the future is in "boxes."

However, I have stuck with Apple through thick and thin, even though I encountered "paint bubbling" with my new Ti right from the get-go.  Fortunately, Apple was very responsive in correcting the problem, unlike my experiences with the 5300, where I probably would have filed suit if the "box" had not been replaced.

This is a long way of saying that problems with Apple's products and its market share affect my decisions to buy, AND my decision to recommend Apple products to others.  Indeed, other lawyers work for me and I am the only one who uses Apple.  They are comfortable working with Wintel products; and while I have suggested Apple to them, I do not force any decision like that on them.  Because one of them needs a new laptop, I suggested that he consider Apple and visit an Apple Store -- which he will do -- but the decision to get an Apple is his and his alone.

Sorry Gary, but I believe discussions of market share and the like are relevant to this list and our decisions to spend money with Apple.  My Ti 800 and related items cost $5,000; and because of my positive experiences to date, I may get a new Al as well.  However, I would never think of doing so without the input of those who contribute to this wonderful list.  But for the insightful comments of all, I would not have purchased my Ti.

Perhaps, unlike you, I am spared e-mail after e-mail because I subscribe to the TiDigest and can choose to read it or not, or quickly scroll through messages that are of no interest to me.

Tim Naegele

www.naegele.com