Safari spontaneously stopped displaying HTML

Joseph Ayers lobster at neu.edu
Sat Jan 18 11:51:50 PST 2003

Prior to this seemingly spontaneous change Safari worked famously for
several days. It will display JPEGs  that are dragged on the dock
icon and the bookmark pages are displayed, but when a site is
selected from bookmarks, the progress and status bars work normally
but no text or graphics are displayed. I've seen suggestions that
resizing the window will overcome this, but it doesn't work for me.

  I have completely removed Safari including the application,
Preferences plist, caches and bookmark folders and reinstalled Safari
and rebooted, but the newly installed Safari application does not
work either. I also Reinstalled OS X 10.2.3 but still a freshly
installed version of Safari does not display HTML. Remarkably, it
works just fine if I log in as ROOT. I have tried repairing
permissions but it still doesn't work. Does anyone know of a conflict
with something in ~/library?

Joseph Ayers, Visiting Scholar
Institute for Non-Linear Science
University of California, San Diego