[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press, coupled with the loss

Greg Chapel gchapel at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 20 14:49:33 PST 2003

>Developers are VERY sensitive to this and investing in
>Mac development is a very big IF

Along those same lines here is something I thought I might pass along to the
list.

 I had sent an inquiry to
Delorme software, asking if an OS X version of Street Atlas and Map X were
in the works. This is one software area where the Mac clearly lags behind.
Even handheld pda's have better connectivity and mapping software than OS X.
Unfortunately listed below is the reply I got. Any other Mac users
interested in GPS maping and navigation software might try contacting
Delorme and bugging them a little. I'm not sure I buy the comment on costing
too much to develop for the OS X market when they also develop for multiple
windows platforms, palms, and pocket pc.

Greg

******* Reply from Delorme below *******************
 Thank you for your inquiry....
DeLorme has long enjoyed the support of Mac users who chose to use Street
Atlas USA.  Recently we performed a thorough investigation into continuing
this support in the form of new releases specifically for the Macintosh OS X
platform.   The investigation included extensive discussions with
programmers, business partners and Apple Developer Relations.
Unfortunately the results lead to the business decision that the enormous
investment required would be very risky and would not return sufficient
revenue to meet our business goals.  This is strictly a business decision
and is understandably disappointing to previous version users, as well as
DeLorme and Apple.
At this time we do not have plans to release any new Mac-based titles.

ALLEN G
DELORME DIRECT SALES
Bringing Technology Down To Earth
1-800-795-3731 SALES EX 2222 M-F 8:30 - 5:00 EST
1-800-511-2459 CUSTOMER SERVICE M-F 8:30-5:00 EST
1-207-846-8900 TECHNICAL SUPPORT M-TH 8:30-5. F 9-5 EST
1-800-575-2244 FAX
www.delorme.com
e-mail alleng at delorme.com