[Ti] MS dropping Office for Mac

XXL xxl at mac.com
Tue Jan 21 13:03:21 PST 2003

> With all due respect, I disagree completely.  He adds: "The business market is
> lost to Apple at this point."  I disagree with that too.
>
> Lots of lawyers use Macs and love them (see, e.g., http://www.maclaw.org for a
> very active group of them).  Certainly the entertainment industry uses Macs;
> and in my opinion, it would be a big mistake to ever write off business sales.

These are niche markets.  Microsoft revenues are something like $48 billion
per year.. And that is just the OS and Office apps..not hardware.  The
entire movie industry generated something like $10 billion in total revenues
last year.   If Mac got every sale to the entire industry it would just not
be that much in revenue. (though it would be nice.)  I am not sure ow many
lawyers "lots of" enumerates, but I have never seen a Mac in a law office in
my life.  So lots of lawyers don't use Macs, too.  I currently have a
running argument with a lawyer friend that I am trying to convert to Mac.
He keeps coming up with reasons to keep his PC's.

Why must an Office Suite have MICROSOFT on the box? As long as it is file
compatible and does the job I think that is irrelevant.  If someone can buck
the crowd enough to buy a  Mac in the first place, then why not an Office
suite from Apple or someone else?

The simplest argument has to be current sales of Mac Office.  How can
Microsoft maintain that the Mac will fail without Office in the same breath
they complain that hardly anybody is buying Mac Office?  There is hole in
the logic there you could drive a truck through.