Why do URL's die when wrapped?

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Wed Jan 22 07:09:06 PST 2003

I hit the send button a little fast there..

Interestingly I don't find any preferences in Entourage relating to Word
Wrap. It's early so maybe my eyes haven't warmed up enough yet.

Maybe there is some guru level trick for the purpose of posting a url in
email and forcing that line to not break? I don't think so.. I would think
that the email client (sending or receiving) would recognize the http: bit
at the start and handle what follows (with no spaces) accordingly.

I have seen multi line - clickable url's before.. I do not understand the
technology behind that though.. I copied and pasted a url from a search I
did on eBay for "apple". It's wrapped down to three lines for me right now.
I sent it to myself and the whole thing worked fine.. What about now?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2F
ws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&
query=apple

On 1/22/03 6:44 AM, "Bill Reburn" <bill at pacificcoast.net> wrote:

> The original wrapped for me.
>
> I think it has to do with how different people work on different resolution
> machines.. Different font sizes/preferences in a message being sent to another
> email client that may display the same font or a users preferred font just a
> little larger/smaller..
>
> Back in the day I used to fiddle with the layout of my messages, because I am
> anal that way - until I saw how nearly impossible it is to send formatted
> email (you pretty much have to use html email).
>

> On 1/22/03 6:34 AM, "Steve Talkowski" <stevetalkowski at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 09:24  AM, Bill Reburn wrote:
>>
>>> It doesn't 'simply' work in Safari and Explorer if the link in the message
>>> is wrapped and doesn't appear to the browser as a complete url.
>>>
>> True, however, the original didn't wrap  (at least not on my receiving end)
>>
>> Which begs the question - how/why do different mail apps treat word wrap?
>>
>> How can I be sure that a long link comes through properly?  I'm using Apple's
>> Mail app and rarely resort to using "rich text".
>>
>> -steve

Bill Reburn