[Ti] Why do URL's die when wrapped?

b flipper at macsrule.com
Wed Jan 22 10:40:43 PST 2003

>In the original email to this list, I received it with only the
>first line being a link and the rest being broken as is probably
>shown below.
>
>http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2F
>ws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&
>query=apple
>
>===
>
>I've reformed it and enclosed it in the chevrons:
>
><http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=apple>
>
>===
>
>This looks good before I send it but am sending it without the
>chevron enclosures.
>
>http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=apple
>
>--

Well, both of the last two links, above, opened fine on my Ti-Book,
using Eudora, with, or without the enclosures.

In the URL at the top, there are spaces at the ends of lines. I have
BBEdit on here, and as a result, under the 'Services' menu I have a
'Format' sub-menu. It includes: "Remove line endings", "Trim line
endings", "Remove Quotes", etc. Very handy.

My guess is that the original poster's email program was set to use
'hard' wrap. As the original [multi-line] URL had to have to
'backspaces' in order to 'join' the lines completely. Trimming line
endings didn't work, a sure sign of a hard wrap.

~flipper