[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press

Greg Chapel gchapel at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 22 13:08:43 PST 2003

Henry,

I have seen the same thing. I am in the geosciences and Apple has never made
in-roads into our industries labs and networks. Not only that, I have seen a
serious decline in Apple systems at the colleges. I have two college age
children and we recently visited numerous colleges in our area as well as
several out-of-state colleges. In all cases, the Apple systems were way
outnumber by Wintel & Sun machines. In addition not one college we visited
was running OS X. Most of the Apple systems were older iMacs running OS9.

In my town, We have no local retail outlet that sells Mac. BestBuy, WalMart,
KMart, Sears, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc. all carry Wintel machines,
software, and equipment but no Mac. I have to travel about 300 miles to
actually see a new Apple product in person. I continue to support Mac
products but sometimes I feel I am flogging a dead horse.

Geoscience software is abundant for the linux OS. But I haven't yet been
able to get one vender to build their proprietary software for the Mac.

I don't think you are living on another planet. The 2.3% Market share is a
reality. In some areas I am sure Macs are just as abundant as PC's, In other
areas they are as rare as hens teeth.

Greg