[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press

Ron Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Wed Jan 22 16:36:17 PST 2003

I spend a significant amount of time each week sending pro-Mac e-mail
around the campus where I teach; evangelizing the advantages of Mac's
lower TOC (Total Cost of Ownership) plus better performance and
security.  Last semester, we were hit hard with a Windows virus that
took down a main server and infected many desktop machines.  I wrote a
stirring e-mail advocating that we throw Microsoft products off our
campus and adopt an all-Unix policy, including use of open source
software whenever possible.  That got a big response, not much of it
positive.

Does anyone actually understand MS's educational licensing?  The college
is paying a fortune for campus-wide Microsoft licensing, yet not a cent
goes for Macintosh versions of MS products, like Office.  The same for
operating systems.  Windows XP all around, while I have to spend my own
program's budget to upgrade MacOS versions.  I have to my own Office X
while everyone else on campus who uses a Wintel box has Office XP
installed automatically.

You're right, this is discrimination and prejudice in the worst form.
Highly educated people ought to be able to see a better way, right.  We
need some affirmative action for Macintosh technology.

Ron Woodland

Michael Bigley wrote:

>> I must be living on a different planet...All I see is *formerly* all Mac
>> Departments switching to PCs. In my former university - I had to *insist*
>> on a Mac...and got a 7100 leftover...
>>
>> Now - I've not even been asked...there's a Dell with a "pentium 4" on my
>> desk...
>

> Sorry to hear about your personal experience Henry. You are not on a
> different planet, but your obviously working at a place with a
> prejudiced IT department. Anyone using 7100-era technology to evaluate
> the Mac platform is not reasonable or rational.  Just like racial or
> religious prejudice, one cannot use logic, reason or even fact to sway
> opinions of those who are prejudiced against the Mac.
>
> The fact is that your personal experience doesn't match most of the
> world.  Even the major stock analysts are saying Apple stock is a great
> buy and undervalued.  I would suggest subscribing to Versiontracker's
> daily email of OSX software updates and releases. It has been really
> pleasant to watch this list grow exponentially over the last couple of
> years, and it may help to offset some of those negative vibes you are
> getting from your work environment. ;-)

Ronald Woodland -- St. George, Utah  84770