[Ti] Screen Saver/Screen Dimming

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Wed Jan 22 16:54:38 PST 2003

On  Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:54:15 -0600 Kynan Shook <kshook at mac.com> wrote:

> You can turn power to the LCD off by using the Energy Saver control
> panel.  Depending on your version of hardware and the OS, turning the
> brightness all the way down will either turn off the backlight bulb, or
> it may totally power down the LCD.
> It would be possible to dim the PowerBook's display over time, but
> AFAIK, nobody has done this yet.  Get a 17" PowerBook, however, and you
> can take advantage of its ambient light sensors to automatically dim
> the display as appropriate for the lighting levels.  I'm not sure if
> this is a smooth dimming, or if it's a two-level sort of thing,
> however.

I'm not sure I would welcome the computer deciding the brightness level for
me. It's just like Government interference as far as I am concerned. The
government decides what is good or bad for me far too often. I really don't
need my computer to do the same thing. _I'll_ decide how much brightness I
want, think you very much! So the CPU can keep its Cotton-Pickin' fingers
off the brightness control.

And for the light under the keyboard? Scary stuff! Ever see what a guy looks
like at his computer with the light coming on his face from below?
Frankenstein's monster at work! For me, I don't want my keyboard to be lit
up. It would be nothing but distraction and battery drain. I type by touch
not by sight.

jg