[Ti] MS dropping Office for Mac

Daniel L Kegan, Kegan & Kegan, Ltd. daniel at KeganLaw.com
Wed Jan 22 22:03:11 PST 2003

I don't know the number of computing using attorneys in the USA, nor the percentage
using Macs. Some vendors have at times run (generally nonrepresentative) surveys and
reported some numbers.
In terms of "making a difference"...

I'm a big believer in seeking to define an appropriate area to influence--
not so small there is no community concern (I'll do it and maybe my dog and kid);
not so large that any influence is washed out (the drop in the ocean (of not Ice9) or
one person alone seeking to get all WinTel users to switch this month to Mac;
but an appropriate target to engage in and seek to influence,
while of course, remaining open to what one hears/learns from those sought
to be influenced, which sometimes causes change in opinions, goals, tactics.

There is a mathematical law that any finite number may be constructed by enough
smaller numbers. Which is why a straw can break a camel's back,
why adding just one more little thing to you computer bag results in a very heavy bag,
and why little individual contributions to pollution make a collective big mess.

I sometimes wonder how very religious persons deal with the balance of sin and soul
they find in the world (albeit different persons define sin and soul differently).
There does seem to be both concerns at time--convert masses, or speak to each
according to their understanding, rejoice in each single soul saved.

Back to attorneys and Macs, I'm not sure how many attorneys,
nor what the diffusion rate to Mac has been,
but it is one of the communities I live in, and as I encourage my neighbors not
to litter the parks nearby (or far away), I speak my preferences to some of my
professional communities.

Helping some attorneys discovery the person-centered benefits of Mac is better
than not, and I think better than doing nothing.

Daniel Kegan * daniel at KeganLaw.com * Kegan & Kegan, Ltd
We identify, develop, and protect intangible business assets
and counsel other professionals on legal issues.
Balanced Counsel for Smart Clients * www.KeganLaw.com