[Ti] Apple growth

Henry Kalir kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU
Thu Jan 23 13:22:34 PST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Massimo Marino wrote:

> As promised here are some figures (preliminary) concerning my home
> institution.
>
> As  of 12-13-02 the Property Management Database had 960 Apple
> manufactured computers .  This does not include those that have been
> "retired" as too old (and inexpensive) to retain in the database.
>
> A year ago:
> On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 08:44 PM, Dan Cheng wrote:
>
> > from Keith, just about a year ago (Jan 31, 2002).
>
> >> OS 9 = 288 (55.5%)
> >> OS 8 = 164 (31.6%)
> >> OS X = 67 (12.9%)
> >> Total identifiable Mac OS AppleTalk Devices = 519
> >> Total AppleTalk Devices = 800
>
> >> Only counted lab owned computers, personal computers were not included
>
> The Apple Talk Devices figure includes all (peripherals connected to
> AppleTalk and not identified as such as a Mac OS running computer -
> printers, scanners, etc).
>
> As you can see they are not *just* wishful thoughts. As I said already
> - "Macs are popping up as mushrooms" in scientific communities.
> Although some already existing might simply made its appearance on the
> data base the increase is justified by the very fact that one sees more
> Macs around than ever (especially among portables).
>
> Even assuming that the 960 as of December includes all (hence to be
> compared to Total Apple Devise and not to Total identifiable Mac OS
> Devices) that's about a 20% increase -- which is quite respectable
> being the worst-case-increase-figure, I would say.
>
> Cheers and cheer up

Dear Massimo,

That's truly wonderful that your institution is moving in the right
direction, but in the life sciences, things are moving in the other
direction. At UMDNJ - only a few G3s are at the Academic Computing Center.
All departments have Wintels...with a sprinkling of Macs in folks' labs
who can afford to buy their own (grants etc).

Same in other institutions I'm/have been affiliated with .
Even Bruce Giles,  one of the mac-l listmoms, reported about a year or 2 ago that his
institution (Oak Ridge?) had switched to wintels and was no longer
supporting Macs...

I'll have to surmise that you are a lucky fellow - great workplace with a
great attitude and tolerance. Same planet...yes...but privileged
neighborhood for you...

Best,

Henry