[Ti] best e-mail program

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Thu Jan 23 16:35:28 PST 2003

On  Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:16:05 -0500 Gary Mark <gmark at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Interesting that you mentioned this.  Maybe you were already gone from=20=
>
> Apple by then, but Apple copied this technology from a company called=20
> SoftArc, which IMHO produces the BEST email/messaging server around=20
> called FirstClass.
>
> I know plenty of MUGs that use or used FirstClass to set-up BBS' (even=20=
>
> Berkeley MUG) way back when.  Nevertheless, this software still exists=20=
>
> (an OS X server is coming soon), and I think the world would be a better=20=
>
> place if we all used this mac-friendly email server (now on version =
> 6.0).

Interesting! One of the most pleasant learning experiences I had with the
Mac was on a FirstClass BBS system called M*A*G*I*C that was run by an Apple
Canada employee by the name of Mark Windram out of the Apple Canada offices
in Markham Ontario. It became HUGE! and people all over North America began
joining in. Apple in its most Draconian and heavy handed way demanded that
Mark turn over his database of users to Apple. Mark declined and was made to
empty his desk and was unceremoniously escorted out of the building.

This was one of the sweetest pieces of software

(Hmmm! while I was taking a bathroom break, someone clicked the "Send"
button! Sorry about that).

As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted...

This was one of the sweetest uses of great software ever! It was set up so
that people could dial up or log in through the internet. Most of us who
used it, thought it was much nicer than AOL, and if it had been allowed to
continue, who knows...

In the end it was bought out by TotalNet of Montreal and gradually had the
heart and soul squashed out of it.

I am really happy to learn that Softarc is still in existence and they still
have FirstClass available in an OS X version.

Is there an OS X FirstClass Client available for download?

jg