[Ti] best e-mail program

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Fri Jan 24 13:21:58 PST 2003

--On Wednesday, January 22, 2003 04:39 PM -0500 Malcolm Hamilton <malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca> wrote:

> I?ve been reading a lot about what different e-mail apps do.
> So far, some of the best reviews (Mail vs. Entourage vs. Eudora) have been for
> Eudora.
> I?ve not see Mailsmith mentioned.  How does it stack up?
> Thanks for any advice!

To add an extra $0.02, I think one of the most important features of a mailer is what format it stores the mail in. Many use a proprietary binary database format (Outlook Express, Entourage, and I think, Apple Mail). The advantage is usually faster searching and mailbox management. The *BIG* disadvantage, in my eyes anyway, is that the format is proprietary and you cannot do anything with it with any other tools, nor is it easy to ever switch mail programs. If a mail folder gets corrupted in any little way, the whole thing is usually a goner.

Therefore, consider mailers that store mail in Unix mbox format, which is plain text. You can look at or even edit your mail folder contents with text editors if needed and it's already in a format usable by several other mailers.

I believe Eudora does this. Mulberry, which I use, does also.
--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com