Resources/Icon Problems in Jag

b flipper at macsrule.com
Fri Jan 24 15:44:12 PST 2003

I alluded to this one as part of the Suitcase issue. [Which was
resolved after moving the QuickBooks fonts from my User/Library/Fonts
directory]

I'm on 10.2.3 and for ages now, I've noticed that 'unknown' or '????'
or 'blank' Creator codes on plugs and, today, even extension.kext
files will take on the icon 'appearance of :Final Cut Pro, Spark,
ReWire, you name it...

It's driving me nuts over here. Shared libraries, Photoshop plugs,
they have this chameleon effect, I turn around, look in Cubase, Deck,
Illustrator, etc, and all the plugs and 'shared libraries' will say
their correct name,but under that it says 'Spark shared Library"  or
"Photoshop Plugin", etc, and the icon will be a Spark icon [or
whichever 'intruder the icon is mimicking]...

It's something to do with OSX's resource handlers, or something, I
guess. This morning someone in another group asked for the
IPextension.kext file to be uploaded.  I looked in the Extensions
folder/directory , meaning [/System/Library/Extensions] and every
extension is dimmed, as usual, meaning it can't be copied and
uploaded, but more weird was this: Every one of them had the familiar
'cube' shape of the Final Cut Pro app and all of its plugs and
whatnot... Insane. No text on the cube-shaped icons, but unmistakably
Final Cut Pro.

I trashed Final Cut for this same reason, last year, but, it makes no
difference. The blank or 'unknown' Creators simply 'assume' icons and
second-line descriptions of some big app [usually
audio/video/drawing]. Yesterday, my Suitcase plugs had all taken on
the attributes of Wundermoosen's amazing MooseCalc [my fave Mac
calculator]. I trashed MooseCalc [for nothing, again] and can go get
it again, since it's paid for, but how annoying.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this?

Thanks for any help, ideas, or anything.

~flipper