[Ti] CD drive won't write in X.2.3 -- bug or drive?

b flipper at macsrule.com
Fri Jan 24 17:01:15 PST 2003

>My TiBook (550 less than a year old) CD drive is getting funny and I
>don't know if it's X.2.3 or the drive is failing.
>
>When I try to copy onto a CD everything seems fine until I try to
>burn the disc.  Then it verifies, tells me its burning, goes back to
>verifying and then ejects the disc partway through the process with
>an error message telling me that the process was interrupted.  The
>CD is then unreadable, either by the TiBook or by my flat-screen
>iMac running X.2.1.
>
>The drive reads both music and data CDs with no problem -- I tried
>as a test.  This makes me suspect that its some sort of X.2.3
>burning issue.  Does anyone know anything about this and whether
>this is a known bug and if so whether there's a workaround (other
>than using firewire to connect to my iMac and use that for copying
>data while I wait for X.2.4 or panther to come out)?
>
>TIA
>
>Stephen

Stephen,

I'm looking at 200 CDs I burned in the last few weeks, on a Ti 667,
running 10.2.3. I almost always use Toast Titanium 5.2 when I burn
things here. I assume you're using Disk Copy, or the Burn service,
yes?

Haven't heard anything 'negative' about Apple's burner, but everyone
I know uses Toast anyway, in Jaguar, at least.

~flipper