[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press, coupled with the loss

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Sun Jan 26 07:44:51 PST 2003

>Do you have any EVIDENCE about DeLormes bad faith? Or are you just jiving?

You posted several times about how developers were "abandoning" the
Mac platform without evidence...

>Mac people tend to behave like spoiled children if they do not get
>everything they want.

And now you make broad, insulting generalizations about us users. If
you have no faith in the survival of the Mac OS and you think so
little of your fellow users, what are you doing using a Mac? Sadist?
Forced to by your employer? (now that would be a switch, LOL). To
paraphrase Somerset Maughm, "if you demand the best, you most often
get it."

Yes, Mac developers are held to a "higher" standard.  Perhaps we have
been "spoiled" by great developers and now that we have experienced
that we have little tolerance for those who cut corners and hack code
just to make a few bucks.

The fact is the DeLorme's Mac software was never better than
mediocre, and that will not generate a huge Mac following.  However,
an example on the opposite side of the coin is Microsoft. Their
formation of the Mac Business Unit has produced some outstanding
software which, according to reviewers on Wallstreet Journal and
Washington Post, outperforms its Windows counterparts. Microsoft is
constantly insulted and, in fact, is hated by many of us as a
company. However, quality is rewarded and the MBU is very profitable
for M$.

DeLorme's business analysis is accurate, not because of the Mac
market, but because of their corporate philosophy about the Mac
market.

>Point of fact: ICUII was canceled on the Mac when
>ICUII underwent a major architectural change. The Mac users response to that
>was so nasty that I doubt ICUII will ever even consider another Mac version.
>Why would anyone go to the trouble to create a new Mac version when the Mac
>customer base was so mean spirited and nasty about the entire thing.

First, I don't think we are "mean spirited and nasty". However,
unless you can provided "EVIDENCE" that this company received
MILLIONS of nasty complaints, then your story is strictly anecdotal.
No smart company will base major business decisions on a few hundred
or even a few thousand negative comments from a user base that is
estimated at 25 to 30 million.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com