[Ti] OS X on a PC? [forward from a different list]

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Sun Jan 26 08:24:21 PST 2003

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 09:07 AM, Michael Bigley wrote:
> There is an Intel version of Darwin source code available for
> developer download.

Yes, and I am running the x86 port of Darwin here.  But there is a big
difference between Darwin and OS X.  A _big_ difference.  x86 Darwin
does not run on generic x86 hardware.  If you don't check the HCL
before you attempt it it won't even start.  And any software has to be
specifically compiled to run on x86.  I'm also running PPC Darwin on a
G3 Blue and White, and after playing with both architectures, it's very
obvious that Darwin was intended for PPC while the x86 port is pretty
much just what it says - a developer version and very, very
experimental.  Some people are not having luck even getting it to run
on compatible hardware.

I just ordered a new PPC motherboard from YDL in Colorado.  It is an
ATX formfactor board that will bolt into any ATX case, runs an IBM 750
series G3 powerpc processor @ 600 MHz.  I bought it to run PPC Debian
Linux for a server, but in theory, it should run OS X as well:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/boxer/
--
Chris