[Ti] OS X on a PC? [forward from a different list]

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Sun Jan 26 09:34:12 PST 2003

No, I'm not forgetting anything.

I'm assuming that the original poster on the other mailing list claims
he saw something more than Darwin.

The source for Darwin is available, and runs OK (although not without
problems) on many x86 computers.

But - and this is a significant but - Mac OS X is a whoooole lot more
than Darwin. The WindowServer (Quartz), for starters...Basically, all
applications - The Finder, the Dock, loginwindow.app, anythingelse.app,
Cocoa, Carbon, ApplicationServices.app, MostAnythingElse.framework
(alright, there are a few open source frameworks) are CLOSED SOURCE and
available exclusively as PPC binaries. Even X11.app is closed source
:-).

Mac OS X is not open source. A limited part of the backend is.

/ Regards, David