[Ti] Closing the Lid

George Reis reis at imagingforensics.com
Sun Jan 26 21:23:45 PST 2003

James Ameeti wrote on 1/26/03 2:54 PM:

> Also I do not need to have the screen on when it is working but I am
> not able to use it.

There was a post on the LA Final Cut Pro Users Group about changing the
priority of applications that are using too many resources to make your Mac
able to run other apps less sluggishly. Here is the link:

<http://www.lafcpug.org/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=21690&t=21690#reply_21690>

And, here is the first post from Karl Lehenbauer. There is more information
in follow-up posts:

> I have noticed that my gigahertz Powerbook is incredibly sluggish while
> rendering stuff in Final Cut Pro. It's rather unusable, and that has been
> making me treat it "hands off" while rendering.
>
> Here's a way to restore the performance of other applications.
>
> Open a terminal window, then do a "ps ax | grep Final" -- You'll see something
> like:
>
> 1762 ?? R 287:06.55 /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final
>
> Then do a "renice 20 1762. 1762 is the process ID, yours will be different.
> It'll respond 1762: old priority 0, new priority 20
>
> ...and voila! Suddenly Mail, Safari, the LAFCPUG forum, etc, are real fast
> again.
>
> Note -- switch it back by doing renice 0 1762 (but really your process ID)
> before capturing or playing back, etc, or you will get dropped frames for
> sure.

HTH,

G.
--
George Reis
Imaging Forensics

Specializing in digital imaging consulting, training, analysis and
enhancement for the law enforcement, investigative and legal communities.