[Ti] dirt slow Ti 550

Hector Luna polonius19 at cox.net
Mon Jan 27 04:47:38 PST 2003

on 1/26/03 11:15 AM, John Griffin at jwegriffin at mac.com wrote:

> Sorry Hector, I should have outlined it in my previous message. For the
> Repair Permissions, you launch Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities/Disk
> Utility). You don't need to boot from another disk. Just select your volume
> and click on the "First Aid" tab. You can then click on the "Repair
> Permissions" button and go make yourself a coffee.
>
> For the prebinding repair, open Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal).
> When you get the input prompt (user%) type the following: "sudo
> update_prebinding -verbose -root /" without the quotation marks. Make sure
> you type the spaces, underline and hyphens. When it is correct, hit return.
> You will be prompted for your administrator password. As you type, the
> cursor does not move, so don't worry. When entered, hit return and you will
> see the repair underway as Terminal scrolls the information. Go make another
> coffee.
>
> For fsck repair, you reboot and hold down Command and "S" key (for Shell).
> You are then taken into a very ugly UNIX command line interface. When it is
> ready, you will actually see the instructions to type "/sbin/fsck -y" Do so
> and hit return. If any errors are detected, it will attempt to repair them.
> Otherwise it will report that everything is OK. If it did do a repair it is
> always wise to run fsck again until everything is reported OK. Then type
> "reboot" and UNIX will oblige by restarting your Mac.

Thanks again for the help, sadly it doesn't seem to be helping. I've run the
repair permissions several times now. I didn't copy the results for the
first three times and thought I was making progress because it seemed to be
different errors getting corrected. The last three times I've run it seems
to keep fixing the same errors and the cpu remains pegged at 100%. I've been
rebooting between repairs. I've run the update_prebinding a couple of times
but I didn't capture the output and probably couldn't make sense of it
anyway. The fsck I've run a couple of times and that has always come back
with no problems.

I've included the text of the repair permissions report. I didn't have
Office or Appleworks on my OS 9 tower so I used BBedit to open the .rtf file
(hence the goofy formatting). Maybe this will shed some light on my problem.

--------
2003-01-26 22:54:22 -0700 - Repair of privileges has started \
We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/hfs.util.  New permissions are 33261 \
Group differs on ./private/var/run/utmp, should be 0, group is 1 \
Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/run/utmp \
Permissions corrected on ./private/var/run/utmp \
2003-01-27 00:45:48 -0700 - The privileges have been repaired on the
selected volume.}
---------

Thanks again for the help,
-Hector