[Ti] Grounding Problem? (was: another Battery Question)

mburke6225 at aol.com mburke6225 at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 14:45:36 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/2/2003 1:14:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, jbr23 at drexel.edu writes:

> I don't see why it wouldn't be healthy.  Since Powerbooks use lithium-ion batteries, I don't believe that it would be problematic.  Also, eventually the AC adaptor will sort of cool down, because it won't need to pump in as much power as before.<

What I discovered on my 17" Powerbook raises an electrical question related to the AC adaptor which in turn could be health related.  After the battery is charged to 100% I have noticed a mild electrical buzz can be felt all over the aluminum case.  It is a tactile vibration, meaning to feel it you should lightly rub your fingers over the surface.  It only happens after the battery reads 90+% charge.

I have not looked at schematics for the 17". With that said, a power build up seems to be creating a ground problem that is leaking a charge onto the case itself.

I believe this to be true because when I unplug the AC the electrical ground buzz on the case stops.  Plug it back in and it starts again.  I haven't tried to meter the aluminum case yet but was curious to hear if anyone else experienced this AC related effect on their 17 or Ti.

MBurke