[Ti] smoke from battery compartment of Ti667! Help!!

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Thu Jul 3 10:18:50 PDT 2003

I saw a similar thing once on another PowerBook at the Apple Authorized
Service Provider I work for; it was a G3, I think.  Some fairly sizable
crumb of something got into the battery compartment, and shorted
between the terminals.  You might want to check for anything in there,
and see if you can identify whether the smoke was coming from the
computer or the battery.  I wouldn't recommend trying to reproduce the
problem to do this, however.

IIRC, the G3 just fried its battery, everything else was fine.

Mohit Bhansali <mobhansali at yahoo.com> writes:
> The strangest and most horrifying Ti experience!  I
> had my powercord plugged in while surfing the net.  I
> decided to move from the coffee table to the dining
> table, so I unplugged the powercord from the computer.
>  BAM!  The screen turned black and a loud undesirable
> buzzing came out from the speakers of the unit.  I
> could not turn off the PB through soft or cold boot.
> I had to pop out the battery...and that when i noticed
> smoke coming from the compartment.  It was so bad that
> my wife came home and smelt it.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html