[Ti] mail forwarding in OS X, how to?

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Mon Jul 7 15:40:21 PDT 2003

on 7/7/2003 3:54 AM, Eduard Hoenkamp at hoenkamp at acm.org wrote:

> In other unixes I am familiar with, users needs only create a .foward
> in their home directory containing the forwarding address. That does
> not seem to work in OSX (why not?), where the system administrator
> has to change the /etc/aliases, and run newaliases. Perhaps I am
> overlooking something in the sendmail.conf? Thank you for advice or
> suggestions so users can set forwarding on their own. Eduard.

That has always been an option within the Sendmail configuration file.

In fact, I just looked at the default sendmail.cf file, and there is an
option there that may prevent .forward files from working (group-writable
.forward files untrustworthy).

Make sure that only the user has write access to the .forward file, and try
again.

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver