[Ti] Reasons to NOT buy 15" 867 MHz

Justin R. Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Tue Jul 8 06:29:20 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 08:10  AM, Chris Scott wrote:

> I'm getting ready to buy a new one of these.  Are there any reasons
> not to?  (You know, things that have been discussed before in this
> list generally, like:  price is about to drop; peeling paint; runs
> hot; bad hinges; poor fit; won't be happy with anything less than 1
> GHz and a superdrive; etc.).

After nine months with a 667 DVI, the only reasons I'd want to upgrade
are for more hard drive space (I have 30GB) and a SuperDrive (I have a
Combo).   Other than that, just make sure you have a bunch of RAM and
run with it.  I started with 256MB and upgraded to 768MB, and now I can
keep 15-20 apps open at once and have instant access to them without
having them swap to disk.  It runs great.  But those two reasons are
the only big ones that have me actually looking at later models.  And
no paint problems here on an April 2002 model that I got new in
September.

The only reasons I'd wait for a new model are the aluminum enclosure,
better screen protection, and Bluetooth built-in.  I agree that if the
new ones are anything like the 12"/17"s, they will be more durable.
I'm sure the "frame" of my TiBook is solid, but I treat the outside
case like a baby to avoid scratches and nicks.  I have a Willow Design
case and I love it.  The keyboard marks on the screen were an
annoyance, but I got a leather pad from someplace that I put over the
entire bottom part of the machine before I close it and those problems
are gone.  And the Bluetooth "nub" that I use now is fine for my uses
-- just would be one less step when syncing or using the Internet with
my phone if it had BT built-in.

--Justin